- Information Dissemination: Provide educational presentations to various groups in the community
- Presentations include: Surviving the Teen Years, Power of Parents, Choices for a Change, Marijuana: The Blunt Truth
- Information Dissemination: Participate in health fairs/community events, giving out educational information.
- Merchant Education Program-3.5 hrs
- All prevention staff trained to provide
- Prevention Coordinator is the trainer of trainers for the region
- Provide to those who violate alcohol laws, or to anyone who sells alcohol or tobacco and are interested in learning the laws and liabilities associated with serving alcohol to minors and overserving to adults
- Tobacco Compliance Checks with outlets in Horry County
- More of a study, no penalties involved
- Number of establishments visited determined every year by DAODAS
TOBACCO COMPLIANCE CHECKS
- Checks with establishments in Horry County that sell tobacco
- Work with law enforcement
HORRY COUNTY CAST COALITION
- Developed by Shoreline staff in September of 2010
- Consists of the following members: Shoreline prevention staff, 9-15 law enforcement officers (have their own sub-committee), assistant solicitor, faith based sector, youth, parents, Safe Driving School, Horry County School District, Coastal Carolina University Prevention Director, Waccamaw Mental Health, Horry County E911, Lighthouse, volunteers, A Father’s Place, Grand Strand Medical Center, Solicitor’s Intervention Office and more
- Mission: The mission of the HC CAST Coalition is to address public health issues through promotion, coordination and support of new and existing programs.
- Vision: The vision of the HC CAST Coalition is that Horry County will be a safe and healthy environment for individuals and families to live, work and play.
ALCOHOL ENFORCEMENT TEAM
- 15th Circuit AET-Covers Horry and Georgetown Counties
- Conduct compliance checks to outlets that sell alcohol-work with law enforcement and SLED
- Conduct casual contacts-information dissemination of 10 minutes or more to businesses or community members
- Conduct Fake ID/Bar Checks-Check for underage violations with fake IDs and check for licensing of establishments (special licenses, no liquor license, etc.)
- Conduct party dispersals
- Media Releases
DRUG FREE COMMUNITIES
- Awarded to the Horry County CAST Coalition, Shoreline BHS is the fiscal agent
- Two substances addressed: alcohol and marijuana-specifically for youth
- Action Plan
- Attends national and state trainings related to alcohol and marijuana
- Host Annual Sporting Event between teens and law enforcement
- Conduct compliance checks in Horry County
- Provide Press Releases on Compliance Checks and other efforts
- Provide PREP to outlets in compliance
- Sticker Shock Campaign-have youth place stickers/hangers on prom dresses, corsage packages, etc. reminding everyone that underage drinking is illegal
- Meets with businesses and alcohol outlets to display state law signs in windows or near registers
- Develops and maintains interactive website with educational information about marijuana and alcohol
- Researches and obtains current and appropriate educational material for website and distribution to the community
- Updates social media sites
- Implements Project Prom
- Provide National Presenter to participating schools and youth groups
- Provide crashed car on site at participating schools
- Provide educational material to all students at participating schools
- Publicize Project Prom on media sites
PARTNERSHIP FOR SUCCESS
Partnership For Success (PFS) is a 5 year grant awarded to Shoreline through SAMSHA that addresses underage drinking and prescription drug use among youth ages 9-20. PFS funding will be used to set up take back events and purchase Deterra materials to assist with proper disposal. Staff will also be providing Academic Detailing which is a training designed to work with medical practitioners on proper prescribing methods. Shoreline will partner with law enforcement agencies to set up public safety checkpoints and party dispersals. PFS staff are available as a resource for opioid and alcohol related education or trainings. For more information please call the Prevention Department at 843.365.8884.
- Provide high and low ropes course activities to treatment groups, youth groups, businesses, etc.
- Provide drug/alcohol education during these activities
- Provide skills to use in recovery, to prevent onset of first use, etc.
- South Carolina has declared a state of emergency on OPIOIDS. Our goal is to bring awareness and understanding on how OPIOIDS impact all our lives, and as a community WE CAN make a difference! Shoreline currently receives funding from DAODAS, through the ECHO (Empowering Communities for Healthy Outcomes) Grant, to address the opioid epidemic in Horry County.Funded by award #1U79SP020779-04 from the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
WOMAN’S ADVISORY BOARD
- Board of community members to bring together resources for women and children in Horry County
YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD
- Board of youth who address drug/alcohol issues in Horry County
- Develops relationships with and provides educational information to OBGYNS, physicians, etc.
- Researches, orders and organizes most promotional and educational material for the agency
- Marketing-assists in the development of most marketing material for the agency