T.E.P – TOBACCO EDUCATION PROGRAM
Tobacco Education Program (T.E.P) is a short course that is intended to teach The Horry County community about the effects and history of Tobacco. T.E.P is designed for the school district to refer individuals that have recently been caught with a tobacco product on school property. At this point the student is on warning number 2 and will need to complete T.E.P per the school district policy. They have 2 months to complete this course. Any teen is welcome to attend program regardless of school offenses.
Some topics discussed during the course include but not limited to:
- History of Tobacco
- Health Effects
- Tobacco advertisement tactics
To sign up for class please follow the link. For questions, please contact Alyson Teberio at 843.365.8884 x254 or Lauren Anderson at 843.365.8884x 236.
Shoreline provides educational presentations to various groups in the community and participates in health fairs/community events, giving out educational information.
- Tobacco Compliance Checks with outlets in Horry County for data collection
- The purpose of the compliance checks are to monitor tobacco sales to minors and report to federal regulators
- Number of establishments visited determined every year by DAODAS
TOBACCO COMPLIANCE CHECKS
- Compliance checks with establishments in Horry County that sell tobacco
- Collaboration with multiple law enforcement departments to enforce compliance with laws related to tobacco sales to minors in Horry County
ALCOHOL ENFORCEMENT TEAM
- 15th Circuit AET-Covers Horry and Georgetown Counties
- Collaboration with multiple law enforcement departments to enforce compliance with laws related to alcohol sales to minors in Horry County
- Conduct casual contacts-information dissemination of 10 minutes or more to businesses or community members
- Conduct Fake ID/Bar Checks-Check for underage violations with fake IDs and check for licensing of establishments (special licenses, no liquor license, etc.)
- Conduct party dispersals
- Media Releases
DRUG FREE COMMUNITIES
- Awarded to the Horry County CAST Coalition, Shoreline BHS is the fiscal agent
- Two substances addressed: alcohol and marijuana-specifically for youth
- Action Plan
- Attends national and state trainings related to alcohol and marijuana
- Host Annual Sporting Event for teens
- Conduct compliance checks at stores that sell alcohol in Horry County
- Meets with businesses and alcohol outlets to display state law signs in windows or near registers
- Implements Project Prom
- Provide National Presenter to participating schools and youth groups
- Provide crashed car on site at participating schools with educational messaging about risks of underage drinking
- Provide educational material to all students at participating schools
- Publicize Project Prom on media sites
- Sticker Shock Campaign-have youth place stickers/hangers on prom dresses, corsage packages, etc. reminding everyone that underage drinking is illegal
- Develops relationships with and provides educational information to OBGYNS, physicians, etc.
- Researches, orders and organizes most promotional and educational material for the agency
- Marketing-assists in the development of most marketing material for the agency
For more information on how you can become involved in any of these programs or services,
please contact Jessie Marlowe, Prevention Director at (843) 365-8884 Ext 244.
ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY PRIMARY PREVENTION ACTIVITIES
- Certified Prevention Specialists coordinate and/or deliver community education through group presentations and participation in health fairs. There are programs designed for individual skill development to raise the awareness of individuals who are regarded as being at a higher risk of being in conditions that have been linked to an increased risk of problem substance use or addiction.
- Certified Prevention Specialists work to foster partnerships and collaborative efforts that increase the factors that lessen the likelihood of adverse consequences from substance use or addiction.
- Contact the SBHS Prevention Department at 843.365.8884 ext. 244.